Monday, May 19, 2008

How Often Should You E-mail Your Newsletter Subscriber List

Phew, I just finished up my 3rd jewelry trunk show in less than 2 weeks......and now I have added even more customers to my mailing list. I usually send out a quick welcome and remind my new customers where we met and thanks for signing up to be in the know about new designs, trunk shows and sales. My regular schedule is monthly unless it is a holiday or I want to send out a quick reminder. I came across a great article on how often you should communicate with your customers and thought I would share!
Enjoy!
---Randi


How Often Should You Communicate With Your Prospects?

With the many ways to reach people today: email, post cards, phone calls, printed newsletters, direct mail letters, and so on, it's easy to be overwhelmed with trying to decide the best way to reach people. And of course then the question of how often arises.

The answer for both questions is: it depends on your business. For me, because I run my business mostly via the Internet, email works best. Email is inexpensive, quick, and easy to track. And given the fact that when visitors land on your website they don't usually know you, they are wary about giving too much personal information. Email and a first name are safe.

Once you have the email address of someone who is interested in what you can do for them, then what? I have heard of some coaches who have been collecting names for a year but have NEVER sent any messages. And I see plenty of other home-based business owners send out only sporadic notes that don't fit into any kind of communication plan at all.

The answer about how often to contact your prospects again is: it depends.

Here are a few options I have seen used successfully and the merits and drawbacks of each.

1. Every day: There are some solo professionals who email their subscribers at least once a day every day. The idea is that you stay in front of people and top of mind. If you choose this option, you must make absolutely certain you are not selling constantly in every message. People will unsubscribe in droves because you are doing nothing to communicate your value to them. It is ok to communicate everyday, but you must provide excellent value-- like free teleseminars and reminders, free articles, or free instructional videos-- have a plan in place and follow it to the letter.

2. Three or more times per week: My mentor Jeff Herring, The Internet Article Guy, uses this method. As one of his regular clients, I often hear from him more than once a day, but Jeff still communicates regularly with those who have not yet become a client or customer. He uses the strategies above along with promoting related affiliate-type products and links to his blog posts featuring more useful "stuff" for his subscribers. I know this strategy works well for Jeff and many others.

3. At least twice per week: Some of the gurus say this is the least frequently you should contact your subscribers or they may "forget" about you. The idea is in order to stay top of mind you must communicate regularly with your subscribers. Many use this strategy successfully.

4. Once per week: By far, the most frequent use of email communication comes once per week in the form of a weekly ezine, newsletter, or other announcement. A weekly ezine is an excellent way to stay in touch with your clients and keep them posted with what's happening in your business and what you have coming up for them. Keeping a regular schedule will allow your readers to look forward to the day they hear from you.

5. Once a month: If you are not currently sending out any email communication with your subscribers at all, start sending something at least once per month. It can be a simple text-only newsletter with one article and a paragraph about your business. This option is not the most effective because it only will build your credibility s-l-o-w-l-y.

What works for me? My subscribers (that's you!) have told me once or twice a week is about how often you'd like to hear from me. Any less and I get emails asking me if I'm ok. Any more and people begin to unsubscribe. So I send my ezine every other week and then on the in-between weeks I'll send some other kind of announcement. I have found when people have just one subject to read about in a special announcement email they are more likely to take action and be less overwhelmed by all the other bits of information that are usually in an ezine.

Whatever your frequency, make a communication plan and stick to it. You'll soon see greater success as a result!

This article was reprinted with permission: copyright 2008 Felicia J. Slattery.

No comments: