Saturday, May 3, 2008

Promote! Promote! Promote!

Plain and simple promote your jewelry and your business every chance you get. I've stated this before but I thought it was well worth mentioning AGAIN because I just got a web sale as a result of standing in line at the movie theater wearing a Designing-Diva original! :)

The easiest way to is to wear your pieces whenever you leave the house. Every time, I volunteer at my children's school the office staff want to see what new design I have on and how much will it cost them. :) Nine times out of 10 when I'm standing in line at the grocery store or post office, I get comments on the jewelry I'm wearing. I NEVER just say thank you. Rude manners? I think NOT. I want to engage them and so will ask what they were drawn to/what they like about the design, etc...this helps me establish a relationship albeit a short one! I always whip out a trusty business card with contact information and share a one quick blurb about my story /jewelry/background).

I know some of you are just cringing at the thought of having to engage a potential customer because you think you are too shy, you can't sell, etc.....The whole point is NOT to sell but to engage the customer, get them emotionally attached and start building rapport for a life time relationship. Does that mean they'll buy today or even tomorrow? NO it doesn't but it certainly increases the chances of them not only buying from you but referring others to you!

Have you heard of the 80/20 principle? 80 % of your business comes from 20% of your customers! Think about that HARD! Do you know who your 20% is? For me, I have customers who consistently purchase and give me referrals and I make sure they are appreciated with excellent customer service, being thoughtful (reminding them about upcoming anniversaries , birthdays, etc), and making sure I engage them by TELLING not SELLING. These are the people who love to hear my "inspiration" behind the designs and enjoy the "painted picture" my words and talents create!

Having said all this I would be remiss in not inviting y'all to view my latest fused glass jewelry collection, Glass Rock Candy, that will be unveiled for the general public next week at the Shecky's Girls Night Out event in Dallas & Houston. If you live in the Dallas & Houston area, I have a few general admission tickets left (reg $10) that do not include the deluxe goodie bag. Just e-mail me at artist AT designing-diva DOT com if you would like to attend so I can add you to the guest list (you must be 21 years or older because alcohol is served). Even if you can't make it, drop me an e-mail to get a link to a sneak preview of the collection.

No comments: