Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Invest in Your Education-Jewelry & the Business Side

As I network online & off with other artists, I notice that the financially successful artists are the ones who invest in themselves, their art and their business education.

Is this coincidence? I think NOT!

Personally, I think one of my favorite personal development books is by Stephen Covey, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. As with anything in life, it is important to take ACTION; it is not enough to just read the book but to "practice" what is important /pertinent to you and your personal situation. I'm a huge believer in setting personal & business goals, writing them down and sharing them with people who will hold me accountable. Go to the public library or the nearest Half Price Books and check out the self-development area and find some books that speak to you. Read them. Set some goals and take DAILY actions to make those goals happen. If you do NOT see results, you have 2 choices-change your actions or change your goals (was it realistic)!

No matter what type of artist you are or what medium you work in, it is important to expand and develop your capabilities in your chosen medium(s). As a busy wife and momof 2, I lack the time to take "classes" but have found a variety of books, online forums (Ganoskin and Warm Glass are my personal favorites) and peers that have helped me grow as a jewelry artist,metalsmith & fused glass addict! Everyday, I try to "learn one new thing" about my art.....of course, 'experimenting' in the studio brings me the greatest joy! :)

Marketing your art/jewelry, should be just as important as generating new pieces or a collection! You need to inject the same passion and enthusiasm for creating your art/jewelry into your business. I have learned a tremendous amount about PR from reading blogs like the Publicity Hound by Joan Stewart as well as the Switchboards forum. I've learned about marketing from the Switchboards, Perry Marshall, Dan Kennedy, and previous job experience.
There is NO excuse for not taking the steps to learn the business side. You are the person who creates the art and must educate your potential market about the art/jewelry you create.

As Nike say, JUST DO IT! Make the time to educate yourself and take ACTION to further yourself, your art and your business!

No comments: