Thursday, February 21, 2008

Stand Out from the Crowd with a Personal Touch

The internet has allowed us to reach out and touch customers around the world 24/7 and e-mail has replaced much business & personal communications but somehow we are more disconnected than ever .....

Although I run an e-commerce boutique and Etsy shop, I get the most satisfaction out of doing trunk shows where I can meet my customers face to face and share my story and jewelry and glass gifts.

Whenever possible, I try to inject personal touches in an increasingly impersonal world. With each order, I include a handwritten note that may include information about the inspiration behind the design, something unusual about the materials used or just a simple thank you for your business. I can't tell you how many times I've had a customer contact me when they have received their package to thank me for the note. I hope you noticed that they never said a word about the item they just purchased.......that simple handwritten note was as good as a simple conversation-the human touch/connection we all crave! Do NOT underestimate this powerful way to connect with your customers to make a positive and lasting impression.

I also package each handcrafted jewelry treasure or glass gift as thought it were going to my dearest friend. That means attention to detail-tissue, packaging, etc....This reflects on their perception of what they've just purchased and how valuable it is.

Pick up the phone! Yes, that's right actually talk directly to your customers. My e-mail box is over flowing everyday but I always make time to pick up the phone and touch base with my customers about their orders. Yes it takes time but it is an opportunity to connect , have a conversation and make an impression that will last a lifetime.

I urge you to make personal touches in your business and watch the ripples come back to you in unexpected ways!

Do you do something to stand out from the crowd? Please share with others and leave a comment.

No comments: