Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Consistency is Key to Artisan Jewelry Business

I'm blessed to be creating artisan jewelry and gifts full-time from my home studio . I'm often asked how can I be successful in the competitive world of artisan jewelry? My one word reply is always "consistency".

Here are my TOP 10 business activities that I do consistently...

  1. Create jewelry daily to find my "artistic voice and style". This excess inventory is never wasted ....some pieces may sit a while before being sold or may even be broken down and recycled. This is how you can create collections that have your artistic style stamped all over them!
  2. Make contact with at least one boutique /week for wholesale accounts. Do NOT take NO's personally; it may mean no today but not tomorrow /another time!
  3. PR-send out press releases, write in blogs, write articles, donate pieces for a good cause,etc..
  4. Host a jewelry trunk show online/in-home at least monthly.
  5. Look for festivals and markets to host trunk shows. Do research to see if festival/market is compatible with my target market before I plunk down any dollars!
  6. Ask for referrals daily...from customers to people who stop me on the street to comment on my a piece that I'm wearing. I admit this was hard at first but now I find it easier and easier to do.
  7. Add at least one new jewelry item/week to online boutique to keep it fresh.
  8. Monthly newsletter-keep in touch & in front of customers.
  9. Network and share business & artistic skills.
  10. Don't give up.....keep repeating activities that are productive creatively and financially. What are your time wasters? Eliminate as many of those as possible! It can take 5-7 years for any artisan to maintain enough clients to be self sufficient.....you will have dry spells...use those to create new works or find new markets.
Here is to your success selling artisan jewelry!

No comments: