Monday, March 3, 2008

Are You Prepared for Mistakes in your Jewelry Business?

As your handcrafted jewelry business grows, it is important to have policies in writing about customer service issues regarding "broken jewelry" or "repairs" etc..

These policies not only protect you as a business owner but inform your customer of what they can expect from you and your jewelry business.

By having these policies accessible, your customers can have a foundation to have a conversation with you regarding "mistakes" and have reasonable expectations.

Mistakes will happen and customer service is your opportunity to not just meet their expectations but EXCEED their expectations.

I recently took in an alteration for one of my best customers and made the mistake of not testing the metal ( I assumed it was sterling and not a base metal). I should have used a soldering iron and NOT my torch to do the alteration because the jewelry was made from a base metal.

OOPS! The first thing I did was contact the customer and admit I made a mistake due to my assumptions. I offered a few solutions but also asked what could I do to make this right (from their perception).

Once we agreed on what should be done, I exceed their expectations by including a free fused glass jewelry dish and pair of earrings.

This is an investment in the relationship I have with the customer.

How are you investing in relationships/conversations with your customers?

No comments: