Monday, June 16, 2008

Getting in Front of Retail Buyers without Going to Market

As a mompreneur, my two children are my "whys" and "top priorities". It is a constant struggle to balance being a CEO, producing "enough", selling and finding new retail and wholesale customers on top of being a wife and mother and all that entails!

My business plan includes a mix of retail and wholesale clients. At this time, wholesale business is my bread and butter and I'm always on the look out for ways to attract and retain new clients!

Generally, retail clients purchase jewelry and fused art glass directly from me at shows that I do in the North Texas area. Most online retail purchases are a result of meeting me at show or admiring jewelry worn by someone (referrals rock!). Last year, I did almost 30 shows and am in the process of really looking at my "target market" and ROI.

While Dallas does have a great wholesale market venue, at this point it is out of my "league" not only price but "production" ( I have no studio assistant) wise. However, I have found some non-traditional ways to get in front of wholesale retail buyers that may be of interest to you.

Here are 2 websites that are portals for retail buyers to check out business's and purchase directly from you the independent business owner:
*Wholesale Crafts
*Wise Rep

Here is a trade magazine directed at retailers and their buyers:
*Inspired Retailer

Plus, do not underestimate the power of networking. When shopping at your favorite boutiques, make sure you dress nice and wear some of your great pieces. I personally know two designers who are now carried by Nieman Marcus as a result of a retail buyer checking out their "jewels" whilst they were browsing ! Talk about high profile and dollar accounts!

Do you have a success story with a retail buyer or wholesale account that you would like to share? Leave a comment!

No comments: