Monday, June 2, 2008

Networking and Handling Entry Fees

I just recently did a local event for a nonprofit group, Texas Discovery Gardens,and while I did not have stellar sales I did make some great contacts. This event was by invitation so there was not an entry fee just a verbal understanding that any sales I did make would involve a 15% donation to the Texas Discovery Gardens; considering I was the only vendor there who was "selling" anything it was a rare opportunity!

Whenever I do retails & wholesale shows/events, I have a sign up list so people who would like to stay in contact can get my e-mail newsletter. Plus, I try to engage as many people as I can because you never know where that next opportunity is lurking---from finding out about new shows, offered to be carried by a boutiques, etc...These events are your opportunity to get in front of you niche/target market; even if someone stops by and it is not to their taste, they may make a comment, "My aunt would just love this." Give them a card and tell them to pass it on to their Aunt (as an incentive offer a discount, etc...).

I'm never disappointed with sales at any event because it is NOT just about the dollar amount that I sell but about networking and getting in front of my target audience. Make the most of your time at any event even the slow ones!

Plus,don't forget that you can write down your entry fees as a marketing expense!

No comments: