Thursday, September 18, 2008

Build Relationships.....

When I first took the leap and decided to sell my handcrafted jewelry, I was very unsure of myself and definitely out of my comfort zone. Looking back, I don't know why I couldn't see the parallel between my retail experience and my new entrepreneurial adventure!

I had a very successful retail career that helped me pay my way through college. The reason that I was always in the top 10 sales was because I always focused on building a relationship with the customer and NOT jumping right to "selling".

I don't know why I thought selling my artisan jewelry should be any different? Nerves, I guess!

Now, I love doing shows and don't get butterflies and continually 2nd guess my display, pricing, etc...I get excited about all the people that I'm going to meet that day. Does that mean I will have stellar sales? Maybe...but it is not my focus. My goal is to "reach out and touch" as many people at possible so they will remember me in a "positive" way.

With each show I do, I have repeat customers whom I have come to know many personal details...from births to deaths and many celebrations in between. It is these relationships that have allowed my business to flourish.....not only do they trust and continue to buy from me but are my "cheerleaders" and refer others to my business.

Now, remember the 80/20 principle I've mentioned.....80% of your business will come from 20% of your customers! Do you know who your "golden 20" are? I do and I treat them like "Platinum" with targeted offers , handwritten cards, and phone calls.

By building relationships and NOT focusing on selling, I have gained many loyal customers who continue to "cheerlead" and send referrals my way. It is so much easier to build a relationship when there is a connection already ( eg My aunt has a gorgeous necklace and said you could help me customize a design for the corporate world.).

Here's to your success in business,

~Randi
P.S.
I'm sponsoring " 3 original necklaces valued at $100 each" as prizes for the Spirited Woman Video contest. The entry deadline is Sept 30th so grab your video camera and your friends ....and show your spirit!

You can check out my alternate persona, the Dallas Designing-Diva's, video entry here......Post a comment and link to your video entry here!

No comments: