Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Creating an Artist Statement and Bio

On my business to do list right now is to "update" my artist statement/bio. I want to have a "condensed" version and a "long version". I decided that I needed to do more research so that my "voice and personality" comes through and I connect with others (by sharing my story). My current bio/artist statement is "lacking"!

Here are links to a few resources that I've found to be helpful:
Writing an Effective Artist's Statement
How to Write and Use an Artist's Statement
How to Write an Artist's Statement

I feel like I'm back in high school english class or worse my 1st year university literacy course. This is what I currently have for the condensed...

I loved numbers and math as child and left the "art" to my brother who loved to draw detailed cartoons. Now with a Clinical Scientist degree gathering dust, I realize that art and number aren't worlds apart. In fact, they are so much alike because they are universal languages. Experimenting with metal and glass I'm excited by the infinite combinations possible.My voice is heard when the hammering, bending, cutting and fusing is done; my artisan jewelry is my connection with others where no interpreter is required!

I like the fact that your statement/bio is dynamic; as we progress or diverge in our craft, we can update our statement/bio to reflect what is going on.....well, I'm off to work on another draft!

Do you have any great tips/resources for creating an artist statement or bio? Share and post a comment!

No comments: