Friday, April 11, 2008

Wear Your Jewelry Out Just in Case Opporunity Knocks

It has been a crazy "weather" week in N. Texas. We've had flooding, hail, tornadoes and now sunny skies. Spring is here!

Today, my two BFF's and I went to a local bead shop that was having a parking lot sale that included not only beads and bead supplies but STORE DISPLAYS! Yeehaw......I couldn't wait to see what goodies that I might find!

I was fortunate enough to get a 1/2 hanging mannequin that is literally BRAND NEW for only $35. I have priced them on the internet for over $170!!! I can't wait to show these off at my next show! Yeehaw!!!

I also picked up an incredibly LIGHTWEIGHT folding easel to hold my sign for a whopping $2! As the years go on, I'm always looking for displays that fold down, are lightweight and can function in more than one way!!! The great thing about an easel is you can set it up with a padded frame and hang jewelry on it too! Versatility, I'm telling you!! :)

Plus, being a N. Texas girl and the Dallas Designing Diva I just had to buy the acrylic cowboy hat. I will use it to collect newsletter and drawing information at shows. It is just too darn cute and ORIGINAL for all of $5! My kids thought it was a hoot and had to try it on and giggle themselves silly.

So, I have my purchases and I'm ready to pay cash when I get a chance to meet the owner of the shop. She was curious what I was going to do with my menagerie of purchases. I told her that I'm a fused glass & metal artist and wanted some great props on the cheap to spice up my retail and wholesale display for shows. Then she asked to see one of my designs.....I had to look no further than my neck-I was wearing a chocolate and pastel pink fused glass pendant. After a little more chatting, we decided that we should get together for coffee next week and see about her shop possibly carrying some of my art glass beads, a workshop /class, a video, etc.....When she asked, "Do you have a card on you?" I didn't even have to hesitate because I always carry a handful wherever I go (and I mean wherever...even when I walk the dog!).

As you can imagine, I walked away with a giddy feeling and NOT just from my "bargains"! :) Opportunity knocked today and I was ready not only by wearing my jewelry but also by always carrying a handful of business cards in my purse!!!

Sometimes we are presented opportunities but are NOT prepared......don't despair....learn and when another opportunity arises (and IT WILL)....you will be ready.

Here's to your success with your jewelry business! Have a fantastic weekend!

No comments: