Thursday, April 19, 2007

Tips for Photographing Your Jewelry

Here are a few tips that I have learned about photographing my silver beaded jewelry designs. My photos keep getting better and it is not quite so painful as it used to be! :)

**Lighting is important. Whatever you use, it must be the same! I use two 3000k daylight lamps on either side of my photo tentcube. No photo tent cube? No worries! Just put frosted vellum paper over the lights while your shooting; it will also soften and diffuse the light.

FYI----I purchased my , accessories that included lighting from Table Top Studio. There are other similar products and I am in NO way affiliated with this company; I'm just happy with the products I've purchased from them.

**Camera. You need a reasonable digital camera that has the ability to
white balance, change field of depth and have a macro option. Your camera also needs to be stable so use a tripod or a brace. Turn off the flash. I use a Canon Sure shot that is ~5 years old now.

I purchased a little notebook to create my own photo log. Whenever I photograph my jewelry, I note what style of jewelry it is (straight silver, silver and beads, glass, stones, pearls, etc...). Then I note the camera setting for each shot which may sound tedious but bear with me. When I'm reviewing my photos in Photoshop, I note what works and doesn't in my log. For my camera and lighting set up, I now know how to get the shot in 1 or 2 takes ...I'm embarrassed to say but sometimes it would take 20-30 times prior to me writing it down because I was just guessing! Waste of time!!


I am NOT a camera setting or photography expert but here are some resources on the web that I have found very useful throughout my jewelry photography journey.....which is NOT quite so painful as it used to be!! :)


Making Your Own Photo Tent.


Found a great Squidoo site on taking jewelry photography .

Feel free to leave a comment so we can all learn something or point out other articles that you found useful!!

No comments: